Friday, March 22, 2013

Creative Use for File Folders

This is a cross-posting from my Striving for Creativity blog where I post various creative projects, however I feel it has some uses in a school library as well (more on that later).

So, I go in phases with using Pinterest. Currently, I am in a Pinterest phase, and I am quite inspired to create. It all started when I finally found some fabric to make a valance for my office window. Let me be clear, I will not be making this valance. I am leaving that up to my mom, because I have no skills with a sewing machine. Regardless, it has inspired me to get back to sprucing up the office (a space I share with the cat).

This space is quite small, leaving little room for places to store stuff. I have found myself piling things up on my desk, because there is not space left to store folders. Finding this idea on Pinterest helped solve all my problems.

I created these hanging file folders for use in my office.



I followed directions 1 and 3 from the link provided above. After that point, I used a few modifications. First, I took paper and covered the original folder. Being unable to find folders in the colors I wanted, I just created my own. I did not glue my folders together. I just used the grommets to secure the folders together. I placed a grommet through the folders I was joining together and a grommet in the ribbon I was using. I then laced a different ribbon through all the grommets to allow the folders to hang. 

I purchased the ribbon first, so it is really too dark for the paper that I chose. If I could go back, I would probably buy a lighter color ribbon or use a darker brown for the tops of the folders. I am trying to come up with a way to bring that darker brown into it with a little more significance to tie it all together. not sure where that will lead. 

Other than that, I love this method for opening up storage for important papers! As a school librarian, I had a very small media center with very little wall space to share resources with students. This would have been a great, attractive way to make that happen. Many locally owned scrapbook stores carry scrapbook paper that is printed with school mascots, names, etc. You could easily make a school themed file folder hanger to disseminate information to students (student assistant applications, monthly programming calendars, and much more).


No comments:

Post a Comment