Sunday, February 5, 2012

Decor and More

As I peruse blogs, I must admit I frequently find myself with library envy. Big open spaces, windows and high ceilings all cause me to be incredibly jealous of other library spaces. Top this with my inability to decorate and you have a bland space. I have been trying to break out of this mode for the last couple of years, so I have tried to find ways to bring some visual interest to the library.

Signage was one of the first elements I used to improve the overall appeal. Various other improvements have come along the way, most of which go relatively unnoticed. Over the last few months I have added some items that have drawn great attention. First, I added these blue beanbags.

Now, I must admit these beanbags were much smaller than I anticipated. I decided to put them out anyway. They were very well-received. The group that has had the most positive comments have been 8th grade boys. This is especially strange given that they are among our largest students and these seats are so small. The best comment from one of these boys was, "We love these chairs. They make a great addition to the library."

When I purchased the beanbags, I also bought this flower pillow. 

While this is super-cute, it is not the color I expected (can you tell I must've had an off day the day I ordered these items). I thought I was ordering a flower with alternating blue colors. Regardless of the fact that this lacks serious color coordination, students have loved it. They hold it, carry it around. 

I recently read a blog entry that had pictures. The focus of these pictures was not of these shelf markers, but I thought it was such a great use for these magazine containers, so I created my own.
Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got this idea, so if it was your idea that I stole, please let me know so I can give credit.

Here's to a future with many more improvements ahead. How are you brightening your space?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    Love the bright blue bean bags! The color will bring a springy edge to your space. I use magazine covers to designate the sections of my library too. They really help the kids find books independently.
    Love the flower pillows too!
    Julie Hembree

    ReplyDelete